Disclaimer

Any identifying information (age, gender, location, yadda yadda yadda) about school, hospital staff, and patients has been changed to protect their privacy.

Monday, March 3, 2008

On the more serious note.

So I'm going to be open and talk about feelings for a little bit. Yes, feelings and all things personal, because when I decided to make this blog it's not for fame or millions visits per day or anything like that, I wanted it to be a diary of my journey through nursing school so that I could look back at the written memories (and I'm only lucky and grateful when I see the few comments and support here and there) someday, and those include the good and the bad. And this post particularly about the bad and I think it should be written as a part of the memory.

Remember a few posts back when I wrote about the gruel that is the Adult/Acute (I keep forgetting what I call this class/clinical on this blog, let's just say it's Acute because next semester it's Chronic) clinical? Well, at first I look at it a t a challenge--well, I still do, in a sense. But I think it's either that first week I got grilled really shook me bad or I just want to be good at it so bad or I'm just plain so overwhelmed that I have this feeling of being terrorized by this clinical. This nightmare of I'm going to mess up and my instructor is going to chew me out for it, in front of everybody nonetheless.

I have this nervousness comes Monday night because Tuesday I have to pick a patient and it will keep me up late to do the drugs information and calculation and do a sort of plan of care for the next morning. Then this anxiousness comes Tuesday night and I couldn't sleep well because of it. Then this fear come and stay with me from the moment I wake up Wednesday morning until I finish clinical. And the thing that bothers me the most is that I know I'm worrying for nothing because I've done good so far, yet I can't shake the nervous, the anxiety, and the fear off. I know I made up for that first week, CI even praised my care plan, I know she knows I'm trying and I'm prepared. All I want is to come to clinical without having this unreasonable fear and doubt that are just, ugh, so negative!

Dang it, positive thinking, where did you go?!!

I don't like this me. Something has just been "off" with me lately, can't pinpoint exactly what. Something--or things--just changed and I'm...different, I guess. I feel like I'm back to being a teenager, in that awkward stage and not knowing who I am, trying to figure things out. It's as if everything I know of just shifted, and if only I know how to catch up with it. It could be the stress too that is getting into me, this past month and a half has been a blur of a lot of thing that are just chaotic in nature.

Needless to say, I've made an appointment to see the school counselor sometimes soon. I figure I'd better make use of this "free" service--well, we paid for it in our tuition, but it's still not paying $200/hour to sit on a shrink's couch anywhere else in this city.

Plus, there is nothing like telling your friends "Hey, I have an appointment with my shrink on this day at this time!" and watching their faces change when they assume you're this damaged little soul with so many problems that you need a psychologist's help.

I'm just kidding.

Anyway, hopefully I'd grow out of this weird phase soon.

No comments: