Disclaimer

Any identifying information (age, gender, location, yadda yadda yadda) about school, hospital staff, and patients has been changed to protect their privacy.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The fruit of my all-nighter.

I like it when my hardwork paid off. Like today.

I stayed up Monday night to work on the drugs for the care plan due on Wednesday. I talked about how tough this CI is a few posts back, and she wanted the care plan to have certain things. By certain, I mean very specific. She wants our reasoning on why the lab values are abnormal and what should we do, and the drugs needs--beside the name/action/why given to patient/dose/frequency/route/side effects/nursing implications info--to be calculated (calculating IV drip rate is a pain in the ass btw) and compared against the safe dosage range, and whether or not it's safe. Blah blah blah, the whole nine yard.

It sounds easy when CI was explaining it, like, oh well, all that is expected in a care plan anyway, but when your patient has 20 something drugs? I was ready to jump off a cliff.

But I worked my butt off Monday night. I did everything I could think of as I rather go overboard then having CI finds it unsatisfactory. So I had no sleep on Monday, got ready for school at 5 and off to the bus park and ride I went. I had class at 8 Tuesday morning, and survived the next 3 hours lecture on a can of Monster energy drink, my new life saver.

Then I have to go pick up my patient for clinical Wednesday morning. Then I have to do the drugs AGAIN for the new patient. Then I have to study my new patient's condition and plan patient's care, because I told myself I am not going to be unprepared like last week. I finally went to bed at 10:30 beyond exhausted.

I got to the hospital at 6:40 this morning, ready to go, only to find out my patient is being discharge at 11 am. Great, so I had to find a new patient and got myself oriented with them. CI was nice today though, she was in a good mood.

Anyway, at post conference today, we discussed the care plan thing since this was our first one and CI wasn't exactly satisfied at some that she saw. I was so nervous when she was looking though all of our care plans to see if there was any that was up to her standard. Then she picked mine. I recognize it before she even said it was mine, and I just wanted to melt to the ground. I thought goodess, here comes another grilling.

But then she said something to my group about not beating me up after this because she was about to give my care plan a gold medal. Heck, at that time I don't even care if my group shoves me into the bathroom stall after this, I was just RELIEVED she didn't make me do it over!

So I did wonderful on the care plan, CI is very satisfied with it. I had a good clinical day, in which I made it out unscathed. I have no OB clinical tomorrow because CI is out on a conference.

And all of this means, I CAN HAVE EIGHT HOURS OF SLEEP TONIGHT!!!!! HUUZZZAAAAHH!!!

No comments: