Disclaimer

Any identifying information (age, gender, location, yadda yadda yadda) about school, hospital staff, and patients has been changed to protect their privacy.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Let there be light.

My house now has power back, wooot!!! After 4 days of living in the dark and without AC, we finally can lay to rest the flashlights and candles. Thank God! School is out until Wednesday, the rest of the week is still unsure. I'm trying very hard to focus and study but such is a difficult thing to do.

On another news, my mama will arrive in TWO days! Wheeeee :D I haven't seen her in 6 years, I've missed her so. Can't wait can't wait can't wait!

So I heard India Arie's Summer for the first time today and, boy, did that make me miss summer. I've thought about those summer days a lot.

"Goodbye summer, I hate to see you go. I wasn't ready for the autumn wind to blow."

Damn right, I surely wasn't ready for Ike to blow and wreck havoc on this city the first month of autumn.

"My heart is frozen in this place, waiting for another summer's day to bring you back my way."

True...true..., but more like to bring me back that way to New York.

I've been thinking how much I miss the fast pace of New York. Maybe that might sound weird for some to hear, I've heard a lot of "NY is too busy for me", and I'll be the first to admit that I'm not planning to live there forever either. When I'm older with a few kids in tow, I will appreciate the slow and relaxed pace of Texas.

But for now, I miss the climbing 4 flights of stairs to get to that apartment in Astoria and climbing more steps to get to the subway, I miss the walking and maneuvering my way through the human traffic that is the New York sidewalks, I miss the convenience of having 3 grocery stores in the 6 blocks between the subway station and the apartment, I miss being able to walk into the cozy bakery across the street from the apartment for a dessert fix anytime of the week, I miss ordering take outs that aren't just pizza, I miss the plethora of restaurants the City has to offer, I miss the smell of falafel, kebab, and hot dogs as I walk down the street, I miss going to Broadway shows and summer concerts at the parks.

*big sighs*

Most of all, I've missed the people I met there the most.

No comments: