Disclaimer

Any identifying information (age, gender, location, yadda yadda yadda) about school, hospital staff, and patients has been changed to protect their privacy.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Good day.

Today, I was supposed to go to the OR at Designated Hospital. Alas, the educator was "on vacation" and the nurses at the station didn't know what to do with me. I overheard a nurse telling another to just "give her scrubs and send her into any room", which was replied with "I ain't sending no student to no room with no educator!" By this time I was lost with the many misuse of "no" and asked them to page my instructor.

I went back to my floor only to be taken to my group mate's patient's room right away; group mate had gone home sick. I was very unprepared, only knew the patient's surgical procedure and how many days post-op when CI introduced me to said patient and charge nurse. To make me even more anxious, the charge nurse was a strict and tough one, which I actually would like to have if I knew more about my patient and was prepared. The only thing I had on me was my ID badge and nothing else, not even my stethoscope, as we were told we'd leave everything in an unlocked and therefore unsafe locker in the OR lounge. Fortunately, I managed to compose myself soon enough to follow and comprehend the charge nurse's 180 mph instructions and to inform the doctor my patient's meds info when he asked.

Relieved was an understatement of how I was when the shift was over. CI later gave me a pat in the back and told me I did great considering I stepped in at the last minute, so that was a very nice bonus. Another cherry on top is that I got an 88 on my Assessment test, which brought up my average from a low C to a B. Yay! Normally, I wouldn't too happy with an 88, but nursing school isn't normal and I've bid my all A's goodbye, so I welcome 88 with open arms. My study buddies did well too, and that is always nice because then we know we're doing something right. Looks like I've finally found my soul study partners. Hee!

2 comments:

XE said...

Congrats on doing so well on your assessment! It's awesome that your study partners did well too!

Prisca: said...

yup, i am learning B's are a good thing! :)

congrats n making it through that situation!