Disclaimer

Any identifying information (age, gender, location, yadda yadda yadda) about school, hospital staff, and patients has been changed to protect their privacy.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

It is finished.

I am done with clinicals, huzzah!!! I can't believe that next Tuesday I no longer have to wake up at an ungodly hour of the morning. So long Med/Surg floor! We had a little celebration today at post conference. CI brought us lunch and we got him a cookie cake since it's his birthday this weekend. 'Twas lovely.

Clinical has been a great learning experience and my first CI has been nothing but helpful and encouraging. I'm satisfied with the evaluation he gave today, there are areas to improve of course, like not being shy to talk to the patients to build a better rapport and taking more initiatives with the charge nurses, but CI said I'll improve in time. Out of the good feedback he gave, I'm most happy that he said I relate theory to practice, adapt readily to changes, and seek learning opportunities, meaning I'm proactive, yay!

On this last day, I was not on the floor actually. I was in the OR observing a laparoscopic Roux en Y Gastric Bypass, which was interesting. Surgery and I have a love/hate relationship. On one hand I love watching procedures and I kinda sorta wanna be a scrub nurse. Only kinda sorta though, because on the other hand I hate the standing and the cold temperature and the lack of patient-nurse interaction. Yes, there is that doctor-nurse interaction and it could be a fun and laid-back one like today, but I know that's not always the case. Let's face it, a jerkhead surgeon will most likely curse you out if God forbid you're 3 seconds late handing him the ten blade. So for now, surgery is not in the cards for me. Every once in a while, I'll get a shadowing opportunity for the OR experience, but as far as career field go....*throws it out the window*

Oh, the Pharm test this evening? Yeah, the respiratory drugs killed me. I did great on the other parts, but respiratory...bah! I knew the drugs and the classes they're in, but I choked on their mechanisms. I knew Beclovert is a corticosteroid, but I went blank on the fact that it reduces inflammation. How the heck did that blanking happen??!! Ugh, I hate the way my mind works sometimes....

In the meanwhile, I have 1 test, 1 head to toe check off, and 3 finals to go before the semester is over and I can catch up on sleep and cleaning the room. The room...oh the room...it looks like my closet flew in there and exploded in the middle of it. Tres messy....

No comments: