Disclaimer

Any identifying information (age, gender, location, yadda yadda yadda) about school, hospital staff, and patients has been changed to protect their privacy.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Scary.

I had the scariest thing happened to me last night and this morning.

I had two syncope episodes in the bathroom, once at midnight and once around 6 am, and both after I got up from the toilet seat. It must be fever induced orthostatic hypotension, which is a conisderable drop in blood pressure when a person moves from a sitting/lying down position to a standing position.

I started running a fever yesterday, so my blood vessels are already dilated from the fever (Tmax 103 this am), and it's not helping either that I'm on my period. You add these together and you'd think, "Hmm no wonder this happened." I did remember I got up rather quickly from my bed to the bathroom, which just aggravated it. Still scary when it happened, nonetheless, especially when I had neevr fainted in my life before.

And yay for being a student nurse and having assessment skills. I can't imagine how freaked out I'd be if I had not been able to draw conclusion on what may have cause this, and had not known how to do neuro check on myself to determine if I had hit my head too hard on the floor when I fainted.

I don't remember anything from the first one, I got up and the next thing I knew I was on the floor. With the second one, I remembered more. I was feeling dizzy and seeing dark, which got me to think "Didn't I turn the light on already? How come it's so dark?" Then I fell forward and passed out. Ion ly fainted for a a couple seconds, and after the second one I called my aunt to get over here and bring me her blood pressure machine.

Sure enough, when lying down my BP was 108/72, and when standing up, it was 88/60. My aunt wanted to wait to see how I'd feel before we decide going to the doctor or not. I'm feeling much better now. No dizziness when I stand up, and I have gone to the bathroom twice since the second episode and didn't faint. I still have a 101.3 at the moment, but I'm gaining my appetite and energy back as we speak. So here's to hoping that the orthostatic hypotension is just a fever induced episode and nothing serious, and that I'll get better sooon.

I called in sick for clinical this morning, and definitely not doing any this week. I still have to study for Leadership/Management exam on Monday and finished my part in our group Community paper though.

That's all the update I have. I haven't had a chance to write on anything else, so this will do for now. If you believe in prayers, keep me in yours! :)

No comments: