Disclaimer

Any identifying information (age, gender, location, yadda yadda yadda) about school, hospital staff, and patients has been changed to protect their privacy.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Study Habits: Which One are You?

This was brought up to me while reviewing cramming for test #2 with a bunch of study buddies. We discussed our own study habits and those that we have heard of others doing, it is quite interesting and amusing.

Strategy wise:

The note cards makers--The ones who make a stack of super near note cards and study them like it's a treasure map. You can also count on these cards being carried around like crack on Pete Doherty, they are available for study purposes anytime anywhere. Lining up for hours to get Deathly Hallows at the bookstore? No problemo! The note cards makers will whip out them note cards from their jeans pocket and study!

The lectures listeners--The ones who listen to recorded lectures agibizillion times. Remember that episode of Friends when Joey listens to that tape religiously even in his sleep? Yeah, it's like that. Expect their iPod to be filled with "Neoplasm-Dr. M 6/26/07", "Asthma-Dr. M 7/3/07", and "Stroke-Dr. M 6/12/07".

The lectures transcriptors--The lectures listeners can turn in these, which are the ones who write down every single word the professor said on the lecture. Every. Single. Word. I didn't think this type exists, but I have seen the notebook with the lecture transcript with my own eyes. I was rather baffled by it....

The notesers--The ones who study almost everything from their notes and their notes only. Textbook is deemed to make one even more confused. It is not the Bible, it shall be used only as a reference.

The textbookers--The opposite of the above. They study textbook as religiously as--if not more than--their notes. Back problem can surface from carrying those big-assed textbooks in their backpack everywhere with them.

Place wise:

The library goers--The ones who make a pilgrimage to the library and set up his/her own little camp in the quietest and dustiest corner of said library, by camp I mean sleeping bag and alarm clock--coffee thermos and air freshener are sometimes included. They have the ability to sit at one place with their books for long hours. Some of them are known to give you death glares if God forbid you drop a pen and its clinking bursts their hardcore studying. They strictly abide by the silence is golden motto.

The people watchers--The ones who study at the park or by the window of a coffee shop so every ten minutes they can look up and be distracted. The people minding their own business and definitely not studying motivate these people watchers. "Just wait until next week when I'm done with this test, I will be free to join you non-studying people! One more week, dammit!"

The bookstorers--The ones who go to Barnes & Nobles or Borders with the intention to study but make a detour to the magazines or newly arrived section. Reading anything but the study materials is like a warm up before the real thing, but sometimes the bookstore-rers would lose their self control and say "Oh screw studying, Lindsay Lohan is crashing another car and Britney Spears is flashing her hoo-ha and Paris Hilton is going to jail and jebus did i read that right? Nicole Richie is pregant, yo!"

The homies--Those who don't go to the library or bookstore or coffee shop to study. They are only an arm reach of one's own computer and iTunes and food and TV, all are distractive in nature but oh so hard to let go. The idea of studying somewhere bereft of the comfort of their own home is terrifying. "What if someone sends me a mighty important email and I need to reply ASAP otherwise someone will...die or something? What if Oprah's camera crew shows up with a car for me??!! And there I was studying at Barnes freaken Nobles, do you understand how suck that would be?! Huh, huh huh?!!!"

----

Strategy wise, I am a noteser. I do use the textbook don't get my wrong but just for a review before or after a the lecture and as a reference to add things to my notes when I feel like I miss something my professor says in class. When it comes to study for the test, it is my notes that I study the most, I rarely study both notes and textbook in the week leading up to a test.

I think the transcripting thing is just crazy and not a good way to study. The one who did this was actually the one who brought up the discussion because he has been frustrated with this method--duh!--and needed an advice on how to study better.

I tried the bookstore thing, didn't work to well for me. I got sucked in with the magazines and new novels and my study plan went to a deep dark abyss real fast. I have a short attention span when it comes to studying, and this is why I am not a note cards maker and the library goer. I don't have the patience to make note cards and I cannot stand sitting long hours straight in one place just staring at my notes. I need distractions, therefore, I am a homie. Ahoy!

I am quite reluctant to study outside my home because it is a task that requires more than just a couple of hours, hence the need to be surrounded by things I know and am comfortable with. I want to go use the bathroom without having to bring all my stuff along with me or worry about someone's stealing my stuff if I leave them at a library/bookstore/coffee shop. I need to have music playing when I study, music that I actually like, not the overly played songs from the radio. I need to be able to lean back and feel the plushy couch, not a hard wooden chair.

I could not would not stand studying in the library. Bookstores are too much of a temptation. A cafe or a park I could do, though not my first choice. Home does it for me, I guess there really is no place like home. Hee!

3 comments:

XE said...

I LOVE this post -- I'm linking to it, okay?

Ms-Ellisa said...

This is a great post...! I am the library type... It is my second home on exam periods. Plus al my friends study there as well and so it combines the "head-lifting watch friend" with the "friend is studying get your head back down to where you were and keep going"

Lala said...

Lol, im a librarier. And a compile lectures+ textbook into own noteser. Note card people kinda piss me off. Its a little on the anally retentive side of things.